Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Baby's Sewing!

This has got to be the easiest pattern ever! It's just one pattern piece that you use to cut 2 pieces out of the fabric with. Cut on the bias (diagonally, see pic below) so the bottom end flares a bit when finished. To find how big to make it just measure your hips and add a couple more inches. It's better if you make it a little loose rather than too tight, you can always take it in, but it's harder to let out. As for length, measure from your waist to your knees and add 3 inches, (one for bottom hem, two for waistband). So really, you don't need a pattern for this at all. It's just a slightly shaped rectangle/square.
Then you sew up both side seams, front of fabric pieces facing each other (pic1). For the bottom hem fold up 1/2 inch and iron. Then fold up 1/2 inch again iron and sew (pic2).
You do the same for the waistband except that you fold up 1 inch to make a wide enough casing for the elastic to slip through, iron and fold up another inch so you have a finished edge (pic 3). When you sew the waistband leave a 2 inch opening so you can thread the elastic in (pic4). Here's a tip: clip a large safety pin onto the end of the elastic before you thread it through. That gives your fingers something easier to handle and it goes more quickly. After you thread the elastic through cut it to a comfortable length for your waistline, not too loose and not too tight. Sew the ends of the elastic together and tuck it into the waistband casing (pic5).
Lastly, sew up the 2 inch gap, turn right side out and voila! You have yourself a snappy new skirt! I think this will work with just about any fabric, but probably something that's not very stiff. You'll need about a yard and a half. (Since you're cutting on the bias you'll need a little more room.) You can always use the scraps to make a headband! Happy sewing!

3 comments:

rainydaytoys said...

Did Moriah make the outfit? It's really cute.

Andi said...

Yep, she made the skirt herself. Not the top though.

Rose Starr said...

Love it! My grandmother Nina would sew with me when I was growing up. I'm not very brave on my own, but I do have her old Elna sewing machine. I'd really like to have it set up so it's always out...I think I might be more inclined to sew if I didn't have to set it up and put it away every time. Do you have a sewing area?

The skirt is so cute!