Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Gardening Frenzy


















Every spring I get the gardening bug, but it seems this year is different, I want to do EVERYTHING! From starting the seeds in my greenhouse, to raised beds, to canning, I'm going all out.
The plan:

















It's roughly a 600 sq. ft. garden (Well, maybe. I'm really bad at math). I used to have about 18- 4' squares with old fence boards for 1' wide walkways. It was nice at first, but by mid summer the garden would be so overgrown I couldn't get into it anymore (thus the new 3' walkways). And the fence boards were rotting out with weeds growing in the cracks, not to mention the snakes, lizards, slugs and bugs which lived under them, **shiver**. That's why I like the NEW Square Foot Gardening book (see my bookshelf to the right). It's very much streamlined having been written about 20 years after the first book. I just got the outer perimeter beds done yesterday (yay!).


































Then I transplanted my asparagus to a new, cooler place in the garden. I'm hardening off my peas now so I can plant them too, and I'm going to have to mercilessly prune back my monster rosemary if it wants to stay.
















In other news, my strawberries are blooming,













my hen is setting on a batch of eggs,















the grapevine is coming to life,













the roses are blooming,













the goat is in heat,

















the massive compost pile needs to be tamed,









and I found a tulip blooming at church that looks exactly like my tattoo!


























All in all, lots of work to be done, but lots to look forward to and enjoy in the mean time. But today, I'm taking the day off!





Hil-ar-i-ous!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I found you via Mother Hen @ 'Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch'. I just wanted to say that you will LOVE that book by Philip Gulley. All his books are hilarious and ring so true about some people. God Bless You. Enjoy your day!

Laurie M. said...

Wow, you should have started taking iron a lot sooner!! Amazing job you're doing. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Great pics too.

Tammie said...

By doing the square foot method, you should be able to supply an entire city with that garden. It is impressive. I can't wait to see it when it is done.