Monday, March 23, 2009

Exciting Soil Experiment

Before we left for vacation a few weeks ago I wanted to get my seeds planted so I wouldn't have to sit at home staring at them all day waiting for them to sprout. I do that. I also try to watch water boil. I want things done NOW and a few minutes, or a few days is too long to wait.
Anyhoo, I have a lot of beautiful black compost in my backyard. I've heard that compost is too rich for starting seedlings and will fry them. But I hate buying dirt. It seems stupid to me to spend money on something of inferior quality to what I can make at home which is of superior quality. Especially dirt of all things.

So this is what I did:
1. Put finely sifted compost in one tray, planted seeds.
2. Put store bought potting soil in another tray, planted identical seeds.
3. Put both trays next to each other in the greenhouse so they both get the same sun and water coverage.
4. Went on vacation.
5. Came home and checked on the seedlings, this is what I found...









The difference is amazing! All the healthy, tall seedlings on the left are started in compost. The weak, stumpy ones on the right are in store bought potting soil. Time will tell if the seedlings in the compost will continue to do well or not. I have a feeling they'll be fine.
I have a dilemma though, I didn't expect there to be so great a difference in maturity and I had expected to plant them in the garden at the same time for a good canning harvest. Now the harvests will have to be staggered and I won't be able to can much. Oh well, I did learn a great lesson though!

1 comment:

rainydaytoys said...

What a great surprise to come home too! I always wondered about the soil thing too.