Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My New Best Friend
















I know it sounds gross, and it is, if you drink it straight. The stuff is NASTY! But boy, oh, boy it's wonderful to cook with! I grew up on the stuff as a welfare child since we got it for free, and I only gagged it down to make my mother happy. Needless to say that as an adult I had a strong aversion to it. But one day a question popped into my head, I wonder if it tastes bad if you cook with it? We go through milk fast in our house, my daughter bakes a lot, I make sauces of different kinds for dinners (instead of buying those cute/expensive little seasoning packets!), my husband would love to drink a gallon a day if I let him, and I have five kids.

So, on my next trip to the store I found it in the bulk bin section, it is awesomely cheap! When I got home I mixed up a pitcher of it, cooked with it, and voila! Non-nasty tasting food! Now we keep a pitcher of it in the fridge at all times, and whatever we need milk for (besides drinking plain :p), we use the powdered milk. If you buy it in the bulk bins without instructions for mixing, use 1/3 c. of powder to 8 oz. of water. I add a bit more water when mixing up a pitcher to stretch it a little more, it's just fine.

Oh, it also works, mixed with goat's milk, for feeding rescued kittens found in your wall!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great advice! I use it for cooking too, but never thought to just have it ready in the fridge, duh. Thanks for that.
Now, how did those kittens get in your wall? How weird is that?

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Kittens in your wall- interesting!

Thanks for the idea on powdered milk.

Laurie M. said...

The evaporated stuff is good for the same purpose. (Mam gave us some she collected from her food bank, so I didn't want to waste it.) It makes a nice alfredo sauce, too. Also, you can get dried parmesan in the bulk section way cheaper. The snobs are against using it in alfredo sauce, but I like it both ways and can't afford to be a snob.

Sarah said...

I use dry milk in all my recipes too!! We go through way too much milk not too. I should keep it pre mixed but I ususally just make it as I need it.

I had to look twice at the head in the wall pic....at first I didn't see the hole just a head!!