Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Dress Challenge, Pt. 2

I did it! Five dresses in one week! It really wasn't as hard as I had thought it would be. One dress a day for three days, then two dresses on the fourth day. I would have had time to make myself one too, but I got a little stomach bug and didn't feel up to it. (I wasn't really relishing the thought of measuring myself either ;) The coolest thing about this project was that I made all of these dresses ENTIRELY out of what I had on hand here at home, with the one exception of having to buy one spool of thread since I didn't have any that matched Faith's corral colored fabric. Here they are!

















Moriah's was made out of satin, which made it a little slippery to sew, but it wasn't too bad. I did have to add a little ruffle around the neckline for modesty since it was a little too low cut, but the style of the dress suits her figure very well. I think this dress turned out the best.

















Faith's dress was a lot easier being made out of cotton seersucker. I love the dropped waist on her so we accented it with a white satin ribbon. It turned out a little too short in my opinion, when she grows this summer she'll have to wear white tight pants underneath, she's always running around and playing hard with her friends at church.

















Abi's dress was fun to make because I had never done a bodice like this before with rouching vertically on the top center and horizontally on the waist. I also liked the fact that it needed neither zipper nor buttons, but used elastic in the back instead, much easier! I had to make the bodice small and add a couple inches of ruffle at the bottom as she is tall and thin.

















Lily's and Hope's dresses were very simple. I had used this pattern several times already to make all of their flower girl dresses. Lily is very small so the pattern turned out to be too big for her. I didn't want to waste the fabric, so I put two pleats in the middle front of the bodice to take it in a bit and covered it with two cute buttons. The wide sash helps to reign in the rest of the looseness. She'll be able to wear it for a long time, I can take out the pleats and loosen the sash as she grows.

















Hope's was the easiest by far. It's a yellow striped seersucker. I had just barely enough fabric for this one so I had to measure twice, cut once! Fortunately it fits her perfectly. For both Lily's and Hope's dresses the pattern called for a zipper, but I didn't have any more after Moriah's and Faith's dresses so I extended the backs an inch on each side and put in buttons instead. You can't see it so well, but I found a little daisy button in my stash and put it just under Hope's strap. So cute!

















Here's a pretty pic of all the girls together with cousin Ava. She looks like a little baby doll!

9 comments:

rainydaytoys said...

Wow!! what a fantastic job, and prefect styles for each, and yes I did think Moriah was holding a doll.

Laurie M. said...

Well, I didn't doubt for a second you'd pull it off! I doubt anyone else did either. The dresses were beautiful - and it was so cute how proud the girls were of them. Lily pointed out the button on the bodice of hers and told me it was "for decoration."

Ashley said...

The girls looked so pretty! You did a GREAT job.

Andi said...

Thanks everyone!

April said...

Wow! You did an amazing job and you are so quick. I thought your daughter was holding a baby doll and then I saw that it was a real baby.LOL. Great group photo. You rocked those dresses!!

Rachel said...

those dresses were so cute. i want them all!

Momma Bug said...

You are amazing! Way to go friend!!!
The girls look lovely:-)

Sommer said...

Hi Andi~

Thanks for stopping by my blog:-) Lovely to meet you! You have a beautiful family.

I look forward to stopping by often and getting to know you better! Always wonderful to find other like minded families!

Lots of love,
Sommer

Pauline said...

I just had to stop by and say you are amazing!! I wish I could sew like that! Simply incredible and great job and GORGEOUS girls!!!
Pauline in Australia