Monday, April 6, 2009

At the Well, Older Woman












So here's the questions for this week:

How are you doing as an older woman?
Do you live in a way that is appropriate for someone serving the Lord?
How is your speech, your attitude?
Are you producing the fruits of the Spirit in your life?

Well, I guess I am an older woman to some, but I know others who'd slap me silly for considering myself in that category as I'm only..... shoot!.....help me out here.....anyone?..... 31? 32? Let's go with 31. Wait, I have guilt now. I was born in Sept. of '77, you can do the math if you care, I was never good at it (math and/or caring). But I am in the position of an older woman. I am a pastors wife, and mother of 5 girls. So here's my answers to the best of my limited abilities.

How am I doing as an older woman?
Um... I taught a Bible study once or twice. Does that count? I try to be nice and gracious when people come to me with issues, and give them Scripture. That's the important part, directing women to the Word, that's the only thing we have to direct us as believers. (Of course we have the Holy Spirit within us to guide us as well. But some people can't tell the difference between the Spirit leading them to do something and the pizza they had the other night for dinner that's not agreeing with them. So I'd rather stick with Scripture for most people. The Holy Spirit isn't going to direct us against God's Word anyway.)

Do you live in a way that is appropriate for someone serving the Lord?
For the most part. I love and serve my husband, care for and teach my children (I must admit there is some yelling involved though). I don't watch T.V. more than say, 2 hrs. a week. I don't smoke, or drink. Well, only when things get a little crazy around here... kidding! (mostly). I do listen to ABBA, but hey, they're good. And I've even taken our churches' resident elderly woman to the grocery store. Can't beat that!

How is your speech, your attitude?
Dang! You got me there! I might as well quit now. Especially after yesterday. Let's just say that I shot daggers at my husband while he was preaching. NOT GOOD! But hey, we're keeping it real here. The only thing about my speech is that sometimes things pop out of my mouth before I have time to consider them. That can be pretty embarrassing at times, more for my husband than me. As for the attitude, well, I'm not a very nice person. I don't like to go outside of my comfort zone much. I will if I don't have a choice, but it's not a pretty sight, Patrick is the only one who has to deal with that side though, (God forgive me!) For everyone else I can smile my way through pretty much everything, but I know the Lord isn't pleased with that. I'm working on it.

Are you producing the fruits of the Spirit in your life?
As for the fruits, well, self-control is probably the only one I can manage at this point having come from a church where only the outside matters. But it only works with other people, not myself (as my extra 80 lbs. can testify to). The rest of the fruits either don't exist for me, or are hard, shriveled up little things. And no, I'm not making myself sound worse than I really am. Remember my bad attitude about everything? Yeah, let's leave it at that shall we?

So all in all, God really could have picked a more qualified person for my position. I don't understand why He did what He did. The only thing I can do at this point is to keep on trucking and trust that He will will enable me to do all He's called me to do. All He needs is a willing heart, but though I don't even have that most of the time, I can pray that He'll supply me with one and know without a doubt that He'll accomplish His will in my life regardless of all I do to sabotage it. Isn't He good? I am oftentimes completely overwhelmed to the point of tears over His grace towards me.

"Guilty, vile, and helpless, we;
spotless Lamb of God was he;
full atonement! can it be?
Hallelujah! what a Savior!"
Man of Sorrows! What a Name
-Philip P. Bliss

6 comments:

Beth in NC said...

Thanks for sharing your heart at the Well! Ha -- you shot daggers while he was PREACHING?!?!? LOL! Ok, it isn't funny, but I can SO understand.

Have a blessed Monday!
Beth

Jennifer said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today...I agree that whole evaluating the fruits of the spirit thing can be really painful!

Have a great week!

Laurie Ann said...

I loved how honest your post was. When you say you don't have a good attitude, is it something you want to change? I'd love to talk more about you with it if you like. Self-control is the hardest fruit I struggle with, hah hah. Your easiest! I'm so glad you posted At the Well today!

Laurie M. said...

Andi,
Let me just say this, did you catch that question: "Are you producing the fruits of the Spirit..." You? Produce fruits of the Holy Spirit? The Holy Spirit produces fruit, not you. Abide in Him. Rest there. Preach the gospel of grace (not works) to yourself and let the Spirit produce His fruit. Kicking yourself doesn't make the fruit pop out.

And as for good works, the ones which God has prepared from all eternity that we should walk in them, you are doing the works God has handed to you - and that's plenty.

And as for your attitudes, well, those are between you and the Lord (and anyone who may get in your way I suppose). Accept His grace for those, too.

And while I'm being an older woman, let me encourage you to let your own husband tell you the fruits of the Spirit he sees in your life. You can never be really objective, because you see your sinful attitudes and it's hard to see past those. I guarantee he will have lots of encouragement for you (and some honest feedback). Paul and I just had a conversation the other night when we pointed out to each other the fruit of the Spirit we see in each other. It was very helpful.

Love you

rainydaytoys said...

I was wondering what Pat was preaching when you shot him daggers. As for fruits,I see so many in you that I can't mention them all, you are gracious, caring, willing to help, a great teacher both to your kids and helping others with their problems, You amaze me with all you do. It is always hard to keep a good attitude I try to remember that the things that have you down right now, won't last, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. As an older women it makes me smile to know that there are still some young good women out there and you, my dear Andi, are one of them. Love you, Dixie

Raye Ann said...

I tried to come by and read your post at least 3 times yesterday. Well it was just one of those days. Anyway it was well worth the effort. What a great post full of honesty. You have a beautiful heart and soul, and an understanding that it all comes back to Him and His Word. That is why God has you were he has you. That trust you have in God and the understanding that He is at the center of it all is what makes you an older women. Being an older women is more than just an age thing.

Blessings Always