Saturday, January 24, 2009

Blood, Sweat, and...well...Curses














No power tools for this baby! Well, I intended to use them, but when I opened the garage door I was heartbroken to find that they were laying there lifeless and cold. **sniff** I'll be ok... someday.
In the meantime I'll have to build things manually, like this nesting box. The upside is that my arms will be perfectly toned from all the sawing and hammering! I am obviously not a carpenter, but I think I did a pretty darn good job on this thing, despite the fact that it has my blood streaked on it in several places.
You know what else is super cool? I didn't put out a penny to make it either! At Hubby's work they use a lot of wooden pallets. The nice man whose job it is to repair them gives Patrick huge boxes of the busted up, unusable ones for us to use as kindling in our wood stove. But occasionally there comes a board that is still intact, I've been saving them knowing they will be useful at some point. So when I realized that my chickens were laying their eggs in the mud, I decided to use the good boards to make a nesting box.
Voila! Happy chickens!





























5 comments:

rainydaytoys said...

Great pictures and good job on the nests - careful not to hurt your back again.

Laurie M. said...

I think the chickens are perfectly happy with the results. Please tell me you did this before you hurt your back!

Andi said...

Yeah, it was before. Probably the reason I hurt it in the first place. Too much work for an out-of-shape body I'm afraid!

Unknown said...

You did a great job on your nest boxes! I loved your post about the dryers. It could have been called "Are you kidding?" A quarter for six minutes of drying time? Who needs six minutes of drying time?

Anonymous said...

I am desperately coveting your spotty chicken. We live in the city and don't currently have any backyard fowl. But if I did I would totally want it to look just like that spotty one. Too cool!